People are always asking me what my favorite products are for makeup and hair. They turn to me for advice on where to snag the latest and greatest fashion trends for the current season. I feel so blessed that I have a job that lets me help ladies feel good about themselves and I’m always happy to share my opinion. I recently had someone ask me what my number one piece of advice for looking like your best self would be, which got me thinking. The most important thing I do for myself to feel and look better is almost never asked about. So, I decided to share my not so secretive secret- I drink A LOT of water. It is such a simple concept, but one that is often overlooked. Studies have shown that you should aim to drink half your weight in ounces of water every day. Water is so important to your mind, body and soul. Yet, most people do not drink nearly enough throughout the day. Check out some of my favorite benefits that your body will enjoy when you up your water intake!
- It helps with weight loss– This seems like a no brainer. We all know that water is zero calories. I’d personally rather save my calorie intake during the day for tasty food and not waste it on drinks that can be loaded with sugar. Besides being zero calories, water also helps you to feel fuller, so you will have a better chance of not overeating. Try drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before meal time to help you improve your portion control.
- It helps keep your skin looking healthier– I feel like when I am drinking a ton of water, my skin looks and feels better. I notice a more radiant glow, which makes me feel and look younger.
- It flushes out toxins– Water helps your body flush toxins and waste. It can also help it to transport nutrients to where they are most needed. Unlike drinks that are caffeinated or loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, water also helps the body to stay hydrated.
- It reduces migraines and headaches– As a Mom of three, I am no stranger to having a headache from time to time. So, I am all about trying to prevent getting another one whenever I can. When your body becomes dehydrated, you are at a higher risk for headaches and migraines. By making sure you drink water throughout the day, you are keeping yourself hydrated and helping to lessen the risk of one of those pesky migraines.
- It can save a lot of money– Water is so much cheaper than any other drink. It is always free when you are at a restaurant. You can drink tap water out of your sink or you can invest in a Brita. Brita makes pitchers that you can put in your refrigerator or mounts that attach to your sink to give you filtered water (check out both products below). Of course, you can also keep an eye out for your local grocery store sales for the week and stock up on bottled water, too!
I am not unmindful to the fact that not everyone likes water, so I have figured out some tips and tricks over the years that may help you find it not so unbearable. If you give it a try, you’ll probably find yourself craving it at some point!
- Try drinking bottled water at room temperature.
- Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to take a few sips every 10 minutes. I find drinking from a straw helps me drink more. You’d be surprised how much you end up drinking by the end of the day!
- Try mineral or sparkling water for some extra bubbles and flavor.
- Try making infused or flavored water at home by adding fruit and spices. You can constantly change up the recipe, so you don’t get bored with plain water every time.