I often get compliments on my thick eyelashes, and although I wish I could take all the credit, I have to say that false lashes are one of my secret weapons. False eyelashes are fun! They give you incredible fullness and a natural, lush look if you apply them correctly. They’re perfect for that special occasion like a wedding or date night and can give you an instant glam look.
Here’s an easy crash-course in applying false eyelashes. It’s really not hard—you can do it and do it like a pro! Follow the step-by-step guide below or watch exactly how I apply my lashes in the Facebook Live vide at the end of this post.
How To Apply False Eyelashes Like a Pro
- Get your false eyelashes and lash glue. I use Ardell lashes and Ardell Duo dark glue (it dries black instead of clear.) I’ve used everything from high-end lashes to low-end ones and I always, always come back to Ardell 110 lashes. I LOVE them! They make my eyelashes feel even more full. You can get Ardell false lashes and Ardell Duo glue at Target and Amazon. For beginners, I recommend the demi-wispies. You can get glam ones, but the Ardell 110 lashes are a good place to start.
- Draw a fine line eyeliner on each eye. You want the lash to look full and defined so applying a thin line of black eyeliner will help your lashes blend and pop.
- Apply a light coat of mascara. Not too thick, but a delicate coat of mascara will help the lashes grip better.
- *BEGINNER TIP: Measure and clip. Before you apply any false lashes you need to measure them to your eye. My hot tip for beginners—clip the lash into three segments. I can’t even tell you how much easier this makes applying fake lashes! (Watch the video for example.) To measure the lashes, tilt your head up and lay the lashes on top of your real lashes (no glue). I don’t like them too close to the corners of my eye—it irritates my eyes. Trim off the edges as needed and then clip the lash into three equal sections.
- Dab the base of the lashes in glue. Dab a blot of glue to the back of your hand, a small paper plate, or the container the lashes came in. Dip the base of the false lash into the glue.
- WAIT 1 minute before applying. This is key—you have to wait about a minute until the glue is tacky before you apply it. If you don’t wait, the lashes will slide and it will drive you crazy. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! If I could share one secret to applying false lashes, this would be it! Wait until the glue is tacky before applying.
- Start on the outer part of the eye (closer to the ear). After the glue on the false lash is tacky (sticky), place it on top of your lashes, right next to the lash line. Hold it there for a second until the lash sticks without sliding. (Watch video below.)
- Repeat for each of the three segments by dabbing the base of the false lash into the glue, wait for 1 minute until the glue turns tacky, then apply to the base of your lashes. The biggest trick to applying false lashes like a pro is WAITING until the glue turns tacky.
- Once all lash segments are applied, you can use tweezers to pat them down.
- Apply a coat of mascara and you’re done!
If you see the lash band, just dot eyeliner over the top of the band to conceal it.
How long do the lashes last?
Good question. You can count on false lashes to get you through one whole day. I like to take them of before bed each night.
Are they easy to remove?
Another good question, and yes, false lashes are easy to remove! Grab top of the false lashes and lightly tug; this should remove your false lashes fairly easily. You can also take some warm water in your fingertips and squeeze your lashes. This will warm up the glue and the lashes will slip right off.
False lashes are a lot of fun, especially when you’re going for that glam look and eyes that pop! Thanks for joining me at Kylee’s Korner! If you love makeup and beauty, you might also like: